Sign in to follow this  
thet1234

DISCUSSION Why was BTW offered for 99 cents

Why was BTW offered for 99 cents. It seemed like a smart idea at the time and Interscope had nothing to do with it but it ended up being a burden. When people say how BTW sold 1.1M there will always be the one person who says that it was 99 cents. It also set up the downfall for ARTPOP. Everyone knew that it wouldn't sell over 1.1M copies and that everything under that would have been a flop (even though it sold very well). 

If you look at the data, those .99 copies were like a small percentage out of those 1M. At the time she was the biggest popstar on the planet, it was a smart choice to give her biggest album even the smallest push, it actually fireback just among local stans, overall it was a good idea.

• LOVE 2

2 hours ago, thet1234 said:

Why was BTW offered for 99 cents. It seemed like a smart idea at the time and Interscope had nothing to do with it but it ended up being a burden. When people say how BTW sold 1.1M there will always be the one person who says that it was 99 cents. It also set up the downfall for ARTPOP. Everyone knew that it wouldn't sell over 1.1M copies and that everything under that would have been a flop (even though it sold very well). 

I bought mine recently 99 cents,  the deluxe album 💕 

10 hours ago, M△⃒⃘tt said:

If you look at the data, those .99 copies were like a small percentage out of those 1M. At the time she was the biggest popstar on the planet, it was a smart choice to give her biggest album even the smallest push, it actually fireback just among local stans, overall it was a good idea.

i think he means that itunes offered copies for 99 cents ahahaha i’m confused

10 hours ago, BadGurlMadge said:

i think he means that itunes offered copies for 99 cents ahahaha i’m confused

yeah, they discounted the code for 0.99, that's what I'm talking about too.

Posted (edited)

The album being 99c actually had nothing to do with interscope or gaga. It was Amazon, Amazon did it because they wanted to used it as promo to get people to use there new cloud platform or something. Since Amazon did it themselves with their own money Amazon paid gaga's label the albums full price. So technically they were still sold at full price is just amazon that was paying. And the sales through it was only a really small percentage of the 1.1m sales. 

Edited by Isthisj